If being a homeowner is the Kiwi dream, then building your own home is what lies at the end of the rainbow.
Recently announced figures from Statistics New Zealand, show that in June 2016 building consents were issued for 2,752 new dwellings, comprising:
- 1,863 houses
- 364 townhouses, flats, and units
- 289 retirement village units
- 236 apartments.
The seasonally adjusted number of new dwellings consented rose 16 percent in June 2016. The trend is increasing.
Read more HERE.
If building is on your horizon then we congratulate you, it’s a fabulous experience. And whilst we’ll be honest with you and say the building process does come with some stress and anxiety, thorough planning can prepare you for the adventure and ensure your experience is wonderfully fulfilling.
Here are our top 5 tips for building your dream home.
- Do your research. Spend time planning and researching. This will give you an idea of materials you can use; there may be new and innovative products on the market, but make sure these will fit with your end goal and your budget. Put together your ideas for design in a clippings folder to take to your architect and/or builder.
- Get busy with a spreadsheet. Set a realistic budget, and include an overrun contingency. You may find a subscription to the New Zealand Building Economist helpful.
- Love lists. Make a nice to have and need to have list. This helps you prioritise essential works.
- Recruit your team. This is a big project so choose your team well. Interview architects, builders and trades people to ensure that you have a strong team of people who have values that ally with yours. Ask friends or colleagues for recommendations, but still go through your own recruitment process.
- Find a dream section. This is where we come in. Introducing stage 4A at Boulevard Park on Taylor | 40 sections with reserve prices starting from $178,000 and titles expected mid 2017. All 40 sections will be auctioned this week, on 4th August, and will not be sold prior. Visit www.boulevardpark.co.nz for absolutely everything you need to know.