New Zealand’s hot summers are without a doubt long awaited by every Kiwi family. As the mountains begin to lose their snowy icing-like peaks, so the social calendar lights up a season of relaxation, merriment and adventure.
Right now, in the midst of the school holidays, Marlborough is quite simply the perfect place to explore and embrace the abundance this beautiful region has to offer.
Here are our top 6 reasons, (in no particular order), why we consider Marlborough to be #brillianteveryday, but especially so in summer!
- Sun, sun and more sun – Blenheim is the sunniest town in New Zealand! It’s official… A hotly run contest between Blenheim and Whakatane has been tallied and the results are in… Blenheim has topped the sunshine stakes in 2015 with 2814 hours of sunshine recorded, 29 hours ahead of Whakatane. Read the full story HERE.
- The Marlborough Sounds – Stunning in autumn and winter these may be… But come summer the pure, pristine waters of the Marlborough Sounds are truly spectacular. A holiday retreat for Marlburians and visitors alike, there are many boating adventures to be had and tall fishing tales to tell!
- Cherries, berries and stone fruit – Summer in Marlborough is the season for an abundance of freshly picked fruit. Childhood memories are made from rich orchard pickings served up as delicious desserts, after a barbecue with back yard cricket!
- River swims – The Wairau River is a welcome sight at the end of a dry day. A dip in the river will take your breath away for the right reasons… The surrounding scenery or the pure delight of discovering your favourite swimming hole is empty and yours to enjoy alone!
- Long lazy lunches – You’ll be spoilt for choice when deciding which winery or restaurant you should pick for your long lunch.
- The Marlborough Wine & Food Festival (13th February 2016) – This iconic event is New Zealand’s original and longest running wine festival and is held each year in Blenheim. Over 8,000 Festival goers relish the opportunity to sample world-class wines and delicious local cuisine in the heart of Brancott Vineyard – Marlborough’s oldest and most picturesque vineyard. The Festival provides a day long abundance of entertainment to tickle every fancy, with wine tutorials from the region’s leading winemakers, a Fashion in the Vines competition, celebrity chef and cooking demonstrations all washed down with a spectacular musical line up at this unique vineyard festival. Such a vast variety of world-class wine and food means a visit to The Marlborough Wine & Food Festival ultimately requires a big appetite, some thirst quenching, and a belt with plenty of notches! Bayleys Marlborough are proud sponsors of this spectacular gastronomic gathering. Find out more HERE. We can’t wait to see you there.