With Mother’s Day approaching we thought we should write an article that celebrates Mums!
As Mother’s Day always falls on a Sunday, there’s a high chance that as a vendor you will have some Mums stepping through the doors to your open home on May 14th. So we wanted to offer you some tips on how to prepare your home for the market with that in mind. At Bayleys Marlborough we have many working mums in the office, so we asked them what things were most important to them when they view potential homes. Here’s what they had to say.
- Open plan living areas – Mums of smaller children preferred open-plan living, allowing for lots of family time.
- Separate living areas – That said, mums of teenagers and older children wanted to be able to give their family some different spaces to hang out.
As you can see there’s no right or wrong answer, so don’t feel you have to start knocking through walls to create an open-plan living but make the best of what you have to appeal to your purchasers. You could modernise by placing glass paned doors between rooms to create a more open feel or create den-like family spaces in separate living areas.
- An office – With so many mums choosing to run their businesses from home an office is often much desired. If you have a spare bedroom consider adding some office furniture so that prospective purchasers can see your property’s full potential.
- A fabulous bathroom – Lots of our Mums said they often feel the only peace and quiet they get is in the bathroom; so make yours a tranquil haven with big fluffy towels, candles and a calming colour palette.
- A spacious and practical kitchen – The kitchen is the heart of the home and families spend more time in it than any other living space. Of course, we all know that it’s not just Mum that does the cooking, so this needs to be a room that allows for cooks to work together. If your kitchen needs a little TLC, then this is a great room to put your DIY efforts into before listing. We’re not suggesting a complete remodel, but a lot can be achieved with a toolkit, pot of paint and some elbow grease to make even the smallest spaces seem grander!
- A garage – This is definitely not Dad’s domain! Lots of the mums we spoke to suggested that ample storage was an absolute necessity when it came to a family home.
- A garden that feeds a family – All our mums wanted indoor outdoor flow and a glorious garden. Many said they loved the idea of a veggie garden, so even if you don’t have a raised bed, it’s amazing what you can grow in a pot. Consider adding some planted containers to your yard to demonstrate the possibilities!
If you’re thinking of selling contact us today for a free property appraisal.