… Prior to sale, without breaking the budget!
When you make the decision to put your house on the market, you’re often confronted with a mountain of minor repairs and fixes that you need to attend to.
It’s only natural that you start to notice the little things that you’ve been happy to live with, but actually you know might not give the best impression to a prospective buyer; but it’s a busy time so you really do need to prioritise.
Whilst it’s true that kitchens and bathrooms are big selling points for a home, don’t put yourself under the pressure of a full renovation, think about the things that you can do quickly and easily to make a difference.
We’ve put together a list of some simple home maintenance jobs that you can do yourself, or enlist a professional to help with, that won’t break the budget or take forever…
- Outside – If you’re garden is looking a little sparse, think about adding some free standing planters with some seasonal colour. Fix or paint your fences. You probably won’t have the time to organise, or want to pay for a house repaint, but you could get the exterior of your house washed by a professional company, this could make all the difference. If you have any money in your budget for painting, give the front door a new coat, (if it needs it), remember first impressions count.
- Kitchen – If you’re kitchen is looking a little tired, a quick repaint of any units and replacing the hardware could give it just the lift it needs. If your oven needs a clean get it done with a good dose of elbow grease or hire a professional cleaning company to make it sparkle.
- Bathrooms – Replace or clean the grouting in the bathroom, and be sure to fix any leaky taps. Replace your loo seat and shower curtain, these aren’t expensive items and can go a long way to giving your bathroom an instant update.
- Replace your lightbulbs – In our post “Open Homes – A Feast for the Senses” we wrote about the importance of lighting to create a bright, open space. Sometimes the simplest things can make all the difference. If a light bulb isn’t working, it’s amazing how it can give a general unloved look to the entire home.
- Think about the view – Wash all your windows, and think about getting your drapes or blinds professionally cleaned. Prospective buyers will certainly look out the windows of your home.